FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hector Fletcher 2013 - feedback

<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Hector Fletcher 2013 - feedback

Hi all,

Hector Fletcher 2013 is some time away (it will be in late August again). Looking for some feedback now.

-What do people think of shifting the start times of the races back 2 hrs? That way the juniors and the handicap would kick off at ~9am and the scratch races at ~11am. This enables everyone to get home sooner. I remember when I did road races regularly the 1pm start time was pretty inconvenient.

Everything else will most likely stay the same. That being said:

- Any other feedback on the format of the races?

- Any feedback on the course?

- Any other things that would be more likely to make you enter the race?

I'm also looking for at least one person who can help with some of the organisational work before the race. If you want in, let me know :)

Cheers,

Dan
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

Alasdair

silks

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm

I'd be all for moving the start times earlier by one hour - a 10:00am junior/handicap start and a 12:00pm scratch race start. I guess that's only because I don't want to have to leave home at 7:00am to get to a race. :)
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. In a pinch, three will do...
<<

benp

kevlar beads

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Racing on Saturday instead of Sunday.

I know last year there was a clash with some other event using the Mt Pleasant club rooms. I (and I think many other road racers) prefer racing on Saturday so Sunday is free for whatever it is that gets done on a Sunday (normally riding bikes I guess). To me racing on Sunday means Saturday cannot be used for proper training.
<<

Alan

wire beads

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm all for earlier starts.
<<

BEN-85

tubular

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah earlier start and make it longer. 2 and half laps with finish at top of that climb. Then riders can just roll back to town for warm down :).

Can u run seniors 1 weekend and juniors another weekend?
Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.
<<

Alasdair

silks

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm with Ben when he says that a Sunday race means only recovery spins Saturday. If one races Saturday one can do intense things Sunday...
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. In a pinch, three will do...
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm

BEN-85 wrote:Yeah earlier start and make it longer. 2 and half laps with finish at top of that climb. Then riders can just roll back to town for warm down :).

Can u run seniors 1 weekend and juniors another weekend?

i reckon a finish up that hill would be sick, theres a side road there too so it is possibly doable

cant run the race over two weekends (and cant scrap juniors!), too time consuming to organise and your race entry would end up being $60 because all the costs are doubled up...
the ideal number of bikes is one
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately its a bit tricky getting a Saturday booked in at the Mt Pleasant oval because the footy club often use it on a Saturday. (And they don't know their schedule until a month or two beforehand, whereas we need to lock in a date much earlier than that.)

And like Alex said, there'd be a lot more cost and logistical effort to runs juniors/handicap on a separate day. Although, again, that would make things a lot easier!
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

smutters

hobby horse

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 pm

earlier starts for road races would be so much better. Don't see why they can run a cyclo sportif at 9am but we have to wail till the afternoon for a road race
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 am

smutters wrote:earlier starts for road races would be so much better. Don't see why they can run a cyclo sportif at 9am but we have to wail till the afternoon for a road race

it would be great if everyone could start at the same time in the morning like at a CS but at an open race you cant do it when you have 4(?) junior grades and 5 senior grades plus a senior handicap

plus there are not enough commissaires working in SA to do that anyway

it is a problem without an easy solution (no we are not going to scrap junior racing)

if anyone has suggestions of how to schedule things we are all ears - the people running these events would like to go home at a reasonable hour too!
the ideal number of bikes is one

Return to the cafe