FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Aussie Criterium Champion - Congratulations Carly Light

<<

Kellie

helium

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Aussie Criterium Champion - Congratulations Carly Light

Carly Light, Port Adelaide Cycling Club member, claimed the 2010 Australian Criterium Championship held in Ballarat, Victoria.

Cycling.org.au wrote:In the women's race a brave solo attack midway through the race South Australia's Carlee Light ride the majority of the 30 laps on her own to claim her maiden Australian title crown.

"I am thrilled to bits and can't really believe it," said the 24-year-old who claimed the silver medal in Wednesday's time trial. "You have to find something special for the nationals and I guess I found it."

Light, a former track and field athlete who competed in steeplechase, launched a surprise attack with 18 laps to go.

Numerous attempts by West Australia's Josephine Tomic and Tasmania's Belinda Goss were in vain and Light maintained her advantage to the end to win by almost 300 metres.

"I was just sort of testing my legs, the team plan was to have a crack and I thought it is about time I got up there and gave it a go," said Light, who was discovered in an Australian Institute of Sport talent identification program in early 2009.

"So with ten laps to go, I had already been out there for ages and I thought oh my god what am I doing out here, but I realised I had to keep going, because once you have a gap you can't give it up 'cause all the girls want it."

cyclingnews.com wrote:Lightning strikes in Ballarat’s city centre

She may come from a middle-distance track running background, but Carly Light put in a long-distance solo breakaway to claim the Elite women’s Australian Criterium Champion jersey. Light broke away from the peloton in a solo move just 13 laps into the 30 lap event and never looked like being challenged.

“I was just sort of testing my legs, seeing if I could have a crack here,” said Light. “I couldn’t believe it when I got a gap and thought I’ve got to keep going. With 10 laps to go I was thinking ‘what am I doing out here’, but I just put my head down and went for it.”

Carly adds Gold to her collection after finishing third in the Time Trial championship, held the day before.

Well done Carly!
Last edited by Kellie on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

stuc

helium

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Hey CL great stuff.

How do we address you now? "Champ" in bold or capitals? :grin:
<<

LukieSpookie

helium

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 pm

You are my personal hero. Please wear your medal 24/7 for the next 3 weeks.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:29 pm

that is the awesomeness thing eva!
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have

Return to front page