FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Roller Frenzy I - Congratulations to Timmy 'The Mac' McEvoy

<<

trapcycle

User avatar

silks

Posts: 388

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm

you Could

It's a pitty you couldn't have two bikes set up on trainers so every one uses them in stead of there own bikes.
it would be quicker- less mucking around.
but i suppose the problem with that is every one is different sizes( long short)
:wink:
<<

DanielS

User avatar

Titanium

Posts: 941

Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Location: Adelaide

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Gemm wrote:FYI gear inches is the diameter of the wheel in inches of the theoretical penny-farthing you're riding.


I always enjoy trying to explain this one to people :lol:

How early can we officially 'register' for Roller Frenzy II? If we can register now, I'm in! (before the rush)
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

Marky G

PACC President

Posts: 282

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Location: Edwardstown

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Agreed Dan (San) I'll be in too... As for your comment re the musical accompaniment - may I suggest that each rider elects for an intro tune (30 sec max) to be played as they approach the rollers.... ?
Ciclo, Ciclo, Ciclo.
<<

Gemm

User avatar

PACC VP

Posts: 2550

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Location: Henley Beach

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: you Could

trapcycle wrote:It's a pitty you couldn't have two bikes set up on trainers so every one uses them in stead of there own bikes.
it would be quicker- less mucking around.
but i suppose the problem with that is every one is different sizes( long short)
:wink:


If they were on trainers - that's be boring!
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Gemm

User avatar

PACC VP

Posts: 2550

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Location: Henley Beach

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Alasdair wrote:Personally I calculated (via Sheldon's marvellous site) 53x15 as 92". Sadly it's a very small gear to compete with those running 96"!


In track talk it's a 95.4" - pretty close to the max (remember there were track bikes with clinchers there too (the ones that went *BANG*) :lol:
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Alasdair

User avatar

silks

Posts: 317

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Location: Prospect

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:27 pm

Maybe give us a max. gear in development terms for the next one and us roadies'll get out the tape measure. ;)
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. In a pinch, three will do...
<<

trapcycle

User avatar

silks

Posts: 388

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: you Could

Gemm wrote:
trapcycle wrote:It's a pitty you couldn't have two bikes set up on trainers so every one uses them in stead of there own bikes.
it would be quicker- less mucking around.
but i suppose the problem with that is every one is different sizes( long short)
:wink:


If they were on trainers - that's be boring!





not if you chuck peanuts at them :lol: :lol: :wink:
<<

timmy

User avatar

helium

Posts: 572

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Location: Welland

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 pm

I thought that because it was handicapped your actual gear inches shouldn't make a whole lot of difference?

I would have thought that crank length would have been the factor causing the disadvantage when using a road bike over a track bike.

And just for arguments sake I was on 91.8 with 165mm crank arms.
<<

Gemm

User avatar

PACC VP

Posts: 2550

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Location: Henley Beach

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm

timmy wrote:I thought that because it was handicapped your actual gear inches shouldn't make a whole lot of difference?

I would have thought that crank length would have been the factor causing the disadvantage when using a road bike over a track bike.

And just for arguments sake I was on 91.8 with 165mm crank arms.


correct - unless you are trying to go for 'fastest' prizes

correct (and drivechain losses on a geared bike)

and... no wonder I couldn't keep up with you on the track - I was on 90" dead :lol:

Re the development/rollout Alasdair - too complicated! MUCH easier to count teeth. If you want to try with 35mm tyres to get a greater gear development - go your hardest!

The reason there is a gear restriction (and crank length restriction) is to:
a) make it funnier to watch as people jiggle and thrash about (you know who you are :lol: )
b) evens up the competition - the smoothest with leg speed are the fastest
c) stop parts of bikes going at unrealistic riding speeds (eg 100kmh+) causing a real hazard for holders and spectators (imagine if a wheel reflector came off, for example) :shock:

Stay tuned for the next event - the fine details are being worked on by your hardworking roller committee of Alex, Catherine and me as I type :lol:
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Alasdair

User avatar

silks

Posts: 317

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Location: Prospect

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 pm

There's also the fact that you don't get carried through the dead centres of crank motion on a geared/free bike. Much harder to spin fast!

Still thinking about that Flite 100...
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. In a pinch, three will do...
Previous

Return to front page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron