FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hanson Reserve - Front Page News!!

<<

Nomorespeedhumps

silks

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:11 pm

I'll be there. Should gee up Phil too. :grin:
There are many types of cars, Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any Two!
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:38 am

Gemm wrote:OK Howabouts Wednesday 25th March, 6:30pm

We'll be a little late but are definately coming.
cheers
Matt..

with the right tools, I can do anything
with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

Marky G

PACC President

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:36 am

The Gs will be there too - school night I know but bah, it's well worth it...

Mini and Micro G are very excited, as is Dad...

Laters
Ciclo, Ciclo, Ciclo.
<<

LukieSpookie

helium

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:15 pm

And the official verdict is...

It sucks.
<<

Jeremy

silks

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I can make myself available for testing to prove it sucks if required ;)
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:57 am

LukieSpookie wrote:And the official verdict is...

It sucks.

I think I like Dallas' appraisal.

"Not an Epic fail, but still a fail"
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 am

yeah its rideable... but i dont know about racing on that surface

you certainly wouldnt want to hit the deck at speed

great summary by dallas
the ideal number of bikes is one
<<

Adam B

tubular

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am

Gemm wrote:"Not an Epic fail, but still a fail"

Just so you know the difference between the two!

AKA the AMAZING BARNDOGG!
<<

stuc

helium

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Last weekend I was riding along the new bit of Linear Park shared path next to River St, Thebarton and rode across what I thought was slightly darker bitumen that gave the bike a bit to think about. On closer inspection it was a bit spongier than bitumen and looked like a rubberish compound of some description.

Not having been close to Hanson Reserve I am wondering if the two surfaces are similar/the same?
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

stuc wrote:Not having been close to Hanson Reserve I am wondering if the two surfaces are similar/the same?

They're not the same. Ones red and the other is black.

:lol:

The Linear park secion is softer than Hanson, but the same "solution". I'm afraid the council is going to "repair" many of the shagged sections of the linear path (and that's quite a lot) with a "solution" thats worse than the current problem!
cheers
Matt..

with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

stuc

helium

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks Matt. That gives me more of an appreciation for the Hanson Debacle #2 (the first one is I believe high-tailing it to England pretty much as we speak).

ZerMatt wrote:I'm afraid the council is going to "repair" many of the shagged sections of the linear path (and that's quite a lot) with a "solution" thats worse than the current problem!

Care to detail "current problem" and "worse"? :?:

At least Linear Park is not supposed to be a race-track ( :twisted: ) and I am guessing that the reason for using this surface is that it may not show the effects of being rooted quite as readily as the bitumen does in places.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 am

stuc wrote:At least Linear Park is not supposed to be a race-track ( :twisted: ) and I am guessing that the reason for using this surface is that it may not show the effects of being rooted quite as readily as the bitumen does in places.

Stu you have stumbled upon the reason the alternative surfacing has been used adj. River Road - tree roots! Have not seen it yet, will go have a look this morning...
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 am

stuc wrote:current problem

tree root speed humps, negative speedhumps (subsidance holes), bitumen that hasn't been maintained in 25+ years (for an example look about 90cm beyond the city end of this new section and more damningly, the "fixed" sections of path a few hundred meters closer to the city again - tar and rocks thrown at the path from Mt. Lofty. These sections are rougher AFTER repair than the broken pavement was before.

stuc wrote:worse

hundreds of meters of this rubber shit that stretches over tree roots before failing and cracking in a few years. Refer the runnings tracks made of this stuff @ Kensington and Santos Stadium.

stuc wrote:Linear Park is not supposed to be a race-track

This is true. Some maintenance in 25+ years would be nice though, especially if it makes the path less stuffed. As I'm sure you're aware, nature is destroying the surface faster than the cyclists but the third rate repairs by the councils are a very poor effort that isn't helping.

Between linear path and Hanson, I'm sure the councils are doing shoddy repair jobs just to piss off the cyclists in this state.
cheers
Matt..

<<

stuc

helium

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 am

Dr Matt wrote:Santos Stadium

Oooh don't get me started!

Tree root speed humps. Yes the conservationists have a lot to answer for!

Dr Matt wrote:I'm sure the councils are doing shoddy repair jobs just to piss off the cyclists in this state

Whoa I didn't mean to hit a raw nerve to a conspiracy theory there!

Mind you I reckon that if the path has lasted as long as it has for 25+ years that is not too bad! I have noted recently that some of the bitumen car parks and colour tennis courts I laid over twenty years ago are still going strong. A regular maintenance program would be nice though. So we need a Linear Park Management body a la Murray River management over several state jurisdictions? :twisted:
<<

jacques ankletell

wire beads

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 am

Thought I might revisit this topic rather than start a new one.
I haven't seen the surface of Hanson Reserve but I'm sure they must have "lifted" it and replanted it on some of the "shared paths" around Bonython Park and north towards the Entertainment Centre.
The new tracks have that "spongy" feel, which I'm sure is nice and soft for walkers but feels like glue on a bike. I've ridden them on a MTB but I'm sure they'd be even worse with road wheels.
Anybody else used these tracks and noticed this or is it me getting older and slower?
Jeff Marsland
PreviousNext

Return to the cafe