FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hanson Reserve - Front Page News!!

<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 pm

Hanson Reserve - Front Page News!!

News just in (other than triathletes riding the wrong way!) - the Council said today they will lay some test strips for the sport's appraisal by the end of next week.
We await....
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Lynette

tubular

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:34 am

stuff up

Gemma, I hope this will lead to the right outcome. Is the council talking to you and other key members of the club who actually use the track?

Keep up the great work with this.

Cheers Lynette :P
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Heya Lynette,
I've been given the job of coordinating cycling's response to this for the state. PAE council met with me, Matt and Lyle once since the new surface was laid, and promised they'd try to lay some test strips. This has not happened yet, but (presumedly due to the Messenger article), I was called out to Hanson last Wednesday for an update meeting. Test strips will be laid by the end of this week (all going well) and we can appraise the new surface. As soon as I know more, Matt (PACC), Lyle (KCC) and SASI/AIS will be able to come out and have a look, and other club members too, so we can formulate our next move in this saga.
I guess we have to be happy with the proposed rectification trials, or else... :?:
<<

Kellie

helium

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Hanson Reserve - media report update

Not sure if anyone received (and bothered to read page 3) the Weekly Times Messenger for Wed 15th Aug 2007.

Anyhow, there was an article (yes, another one) on our beloved Hanson Reserve Track.

I've uploaded all the stories from printed media that I have come across since this saga began. The images are loaded on my personal web space for now. Links below:

8 November 2006

22 November 2006

24 January 2007

15 August 2007
Live for today,
Think about tomorrow,
Plan for the future,
... and never take life for granted!
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:48 am

There's another article here from last week:
http://www.messengerwest.com.au/article ... _news.html

I have received a copy of the engineering report as mentioned in that article, and the PACC Committee has got a copy. Port Adelaide Enfield Council have proposed a method of remediation for the track. Those with an interest in Hanson and the many engineers in the club are also encouraged to have their say in whether the proposed treatment is good enough to race on. :shock:
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Gemm wrote:Those with an interest in Hanson and the many engineers in the club are also encouraged to have their say in whether the proposed treatment is good enough to race on. :shock:

so what is the proposed treatment?
cheers
Matt..

with the right tools, I can do anything
with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Matt D wrote:
Gemm wrote:Those with an interest in Hanson and the many engineers in the club are also encouraged to have their say in whether the proposed treatment is good enough to race on. :shock:

Sample identified as "Sample 3 (Northern)"
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:51 pm

time to jump the fence?
cheers
Matt..

with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

LukieSpookie

helium

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Gemm wrote:
Matt D wrote:

Sample identified as "Sample 3 (Northern)"

Come again? Don't quite follow...what is Sample 3?
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 pm

[quote="LukieSpookie]
Come again? Don't quite follow...what is Sample 3?[/quote]
They don't say...
http://www.mediafire.com/?0njzxtyudce
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm

I have sought clarification on the units used:

"I seek clarification as to the units referred to on the penetrometer scale contained within the report. The synopsis refers to a Rubber Hardness Penetrometer (a hand held device) which has units in the scale of 0-100. I understand that whilst the units in durometers are dimensionless, they do follow an international standard in the Shore scale. If the units referred to are in the Shore scale, can you confirm whether they are in Shore OO, Shore A or Shore D durometer? If they are in a different scale, what recognised scale is it?"

Arrgh Daveed, Daimo, Luke I'm sure this all makes perfect sense to you?
<<

LukieSpookie

helium

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:03 pm

It depends on the intended use from what wiki says...

The distinction between the different classes is prettt poor...how do they know which one the rubber on the track actually is?

The scale they used would be specific to the actual Durometer they used (written on it)...

Since its some form of physical measurement device I would suggest that the difference between the types of Durometers is an internal spring with a different spring constant.

See picture below for a type A.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/000_0217Durometer.jpg

Basically...some schmuck went there and poked one of these at the ground. Most unscientific test ever.
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:16 pm

LukieSpookie wrote:Most unscientific test ever.

did they perhaps test a track tyre for hardness as well? or have they assumed everyone rides on 16psi because that's what is in granpa's healey :roll:
cheers
Matt..

<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:23 pm

LukieSpookie wrote:See picture below for a type A.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/000_0217Durometer.jpg

Basically...some schmuck went there and poked one of these at the ground. Most unscientific test ever.

No I have to disagree Luke, it's not the most unscientific test ever... they were given data (which you have seen) which used a standard bike and standard position with standard athlete, with 110psi in tyres, with SRM cranks, doing standard speeds. The power thru cranks required to maintain the steady speeds over a certain number of laps was used to measure the difference in power requirements to maintain the same. SO the major difference between tracks was obviously the surfacings first, and all other things like track geometry, atmospheric conditions, rider line etc all secondardy (and considered neglibible for the puurposes of the test).

Negligible differences were recorded in power reqd for a set speed between Edwardstown and Superdrome, despite the large difference in skid resistance measurements (which is a function of surface roughness (micro and macro texture) first and materials second), which leave the MASEEEEVE power difference required between Hanson and the other tracks being down to the softness of the surface... which is what Matt and Pud and everyone picked up the first time you walk or ride on it... it's soft, and deflects underfoot!

But not giving the Durometer readings leaves a lot of qns.... as getting a Shore of 99-100 would be easy for hardwood/asphalt no matter which Shore scale, but a Shore scale of 50 varies big time between OO, A & D scales:
http://icrank.com/cgi-bin/pageman/pageo ... e.html&t=2

:shock:
<<

steve

silks

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm

ohhh now i follow you gemm :roll: :roll:

haha made no sense to me :lol:
Next

Return to the cafe