FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

UniSA's Ride For Pain

<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 am

UniSA's Ride For Pain

This one is especially close to my heart.

http://www.unisa.edu.au/health/rideforpain
http://www.bikesa.asn.au/RideForPain

Join Tour Down Under winner, Patrick Jonker, for UniSA’s Ride for Pain on Sunday 29 April and help raise awareness about the frequently overlooked issue of chronic pain. Explore the Adelaide Hills on a 100km loop up Norton Summit to Lobethal and back to the city, or take the 45km exit.

Those looking for a challenge are encouraged to take on Cockscrew Road, solo or as a team, in a bid to overcome adversity and acknowledge the parallel challenge faced by those suffering from chronic pain. Thanks to Fasta Pasta, the first 60 riders to reach the top of Corkscrew Road will receive a voucher for a complimentary main pasta. Teams registered with 8 or more riders will go in the draw to win 1 of 2 packages of 20 Fasta Pasta vouchers.

Recreational riders and families haven’t been forgotten. Grab your bikes and enjoy the 35km beach ride.

For more information visit the UniSA Ride for Pain website.

Having been crippled with astonishing levels of pain since being cleaned up in 2010, its been shocking to see how little awareness of this terrible affliction there is in the general community and how much scepticisim there is in the medical community. The damage inflicted on my nervous system has it signaling that the right side of my spine/ribcage/shoulder/neck is being crushed and burnt and torn off all at the same time. The magnitude of pain I used to feel after efforts to the top of the corkscrew seems like a nice day compared to what I suffer through now just for nights sleep.

Having raced for so many years (not to mention a certain amount of road rash :roll:), I thought I knew what pain was and how to ignore it and work through it. This experience has radically redefined how much pain its actualy possible to suffer through. It's also radically redefined my definition of a "normal" life.

I don't live anymore, I just survive to the end of the day. Quality sleep is but a ragged memory. Riding flares and spreads the pain to the point of physical failure within minutes, daily activities like teeth cleaning and shaving must be weighed against the pain penalty. Holding down a job, doing normal daily housekeeping, even being basically reliable is almost impossible as the whims of the pain dragon change with the weather (and anything else it likes!). A single bad morning can put me in bed for three days with a week needed to finally pull pain levels back to baseline. Without uncomfortable daily physio I stiffen and seize and become all to easy to stimulate a catastrophic pain cascade.

There isn't a single aspect of my life that pain hasn't affected to some degree and many that it's completely devastated.

In the time I've spent crafting this post, my right hand has gone partially numb and my back has caugh fire :evil:

Not only must I deal with the immediate problem of spurious pain signals but left untreated, things will get much worse. Muscles waste, joints calcify, neurological systems become better at conducting pain signals, including potentially irreversable changes in my brain. :shock:

Research on chronic pain and its many forms is still really in it's infancy. Raisng of funds and awareness with community activities like this are vitally important, especially in Australia where pain management priorities seem to be so low.

I encourage everyone to consider joining this ride.
cheers
Matt..

with the right tools, I can do anything
with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

Stainesy

will race for sheepstations

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Matt

I had no idea of your condition or how much your still suffering since your accident.

Thanks for sharing mate. Not an easy thing to do....I can only hope that things get better for you Matt.

Cheers

J
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
<<

Kellie

helium

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Why is it when I want to participate in these events it ends up on the same day as something else I also want to do .... :mad:
This is on the same day as Cyclosportif Round 8. :???:
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

<object><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LyB1p2nKHR8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LyB1p2nKHR8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Return to the cafe