FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PACC CLUB ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS Brief Results

<<

jxl

silks

Posts: 368

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:14 pm

Location: Redwood Park

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm

PACC CLUB ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS Brief Results

PACC Club Road Championships – Mt Torrens

The Port Adelaide medal winners were:

Elite
1 D Hadcroft
2 D Searson
3 N Knowles

Under 23
1 T McEvoy

Masters Cat 2
1 A Hincks

Masters Cat 4

1 P Zalkauskas

Masters Cat 7

1 J Lockwood

Masters Cat 9
1 D Parkyn

19 riders (including 5 from other clubs) took part in the club championship events on a cool morning at Mt Torrens. The conditions were made difficult by a blustery wind. Damo blew the Elite group apart and powered on to a convincing win. There were a few riders who experienced (with some suffering) the change from Superdrome training to road racing.

Thanks to the officials and marshalls for their work on the day; special thanks to Mike Harnett and Maria Szczerba from other clubs who came to the event and provided valuable help.

John L
<<

AlanH

User avatar

tubular

Posts: 167

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Location: Concord, Sydney, NSW

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:10 pm

I would also like to thank the officials, volunteers and corner marshals for their efforts to stage a good mornings racing. We can't race without your help. :grin:
<<

DanielS

User avatar

Titanium

Posts: 941

Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Location: Adelaide

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:24 pm

I'll second the thanks to all involved. You did a fantastic job as always. Cheers!

Edit: Also, well done to all the guys who showed up who don't normally do road races. Particularly timmy, who perserved to the end and took out the U23 category!
<<

timmy

User avatar

helium

Posts: 572

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Location: Welland

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Cheers Dan!

I reiterate the praise for all those involved in organising and running the event, it was brilliant fun for something that induced so much pain.

Special thanks to everyone out there to support and encourage, definitely made it easier to keep going!

Great people, great club and great weather all made for a brilliant day.
<<

David

User avatar

helium

Posts: 732

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:20 am

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 am

Will there be full results issued at some stage?
Once you've had track, you'll never go back!
<<

jxl

silks

Posts: 368

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:14 pm

Location: Redwood Park

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Full results are not far away - apologies for the delay
John L
<<

jxl

silks

Posts: 368

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:14 pm

Location: Redwood Park

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 am

PACC Road Titles 2008 Results

<<

sam england

User avatar

helium

Posts: 472

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:41 am

Location: Radelaide, SA

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I enjoyed the event and thank all involved in administering and conducting it in a safe manner.

I question the logic behind recording results for people that failed to follow instructions from race officials - am I meant to understand that in order to get better results, it is OK to keep riding even when asked to stop?
[for clarity: I was requested to stop with 1 lap to go and did so - I now have a DNF next my name. Some riders that were on the course behind me were requested to stop with 1 lap to go and ignored the request - they are rewarded with a position number against their names. :???: ]
the best way to start the day is with a large serve of pain for breakfast
<<

David

User avatar

helium

Posts: 732

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:20 am

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:43 pm

sam england wrote:I enjoyed the event and thank all involved in administering and conducting it in a safe manner.

I question the logic behind recording results for people that failed to follow instructions from race officials - am I meant to understand that in order to get better results, it is OK to keep riding even when asked to stop?
[for clarity: I was requested to stop with 1 lap to go and did so - I now have a DNF next my name. Some riders that were on the course behind me were requested to stop with 1 lap to go and ignored the request - they are rewarded with a position number against their names. :???: ]


Yes I agree I think some clarification as to when riders are going to be pulled out should be made prior to the start of the race. I am one of those guilty of continuing on with 1 lap to go - although I wasn't sure whether it was us being waved in or the other guy with the different coloured helmet cover that was crossing the finish line at the same time. Having said that, after busting my balls for 7 laps, there was no way I wasn't going to do the last lap whether I got a DNF or not and there was no way the only woman in the race that I rode most of the race with was going to pull out, considering she would have assumed she needed to complete the 8 laps to claim the first prize. So thanks to the following car and corner marshalls that had to wait another lap for us slow pokes! :wink:

Oh and thanks to the lead bunch for easing into it a keeping the group together for the first lap of the ultimate road race of the season - it was really fun doing a two-up time trial for 7 and a half laps. :twisted:

Also is there any chance of getting more than just the finishing time for the winner?
Once you've had track, you'll never go back!
<<

Adam B

User avatar

tubular

Posts: 170

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Location: Modbury North, South Australia

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 pm

David wrote:Oh and thanks to the lead bunch for easing into it a keeping the group together for the first lap of the ultimate road race of the season - it was really fun doing a two-up time trial for 7 and a half laps. :twisted:



Sorry Dave! I said to Daimo before the race just take it easy for the first lap or so, so that the group can stay together for at least a little while........

But sure as eggs he went flying up the first hill, and I wasn't about to be left behind! LOL!
AKA the AMAZING BARNDOGG!
<<

Daimo

User avatar

silks

Posts: 301

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Location: Adelaide, SA

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Adam B wrote:
David wrote:Oh and thanks to the lead bunch for easing into it a keeping the group together for the first lap of the ultimate road race of the season - it was really fun doing a two-up time trial for 7 and a half laps. :twisted:



Sorry Dave! I said to Daimo before the race just take it easy for the first lap or so, so that the group can stay together for at least a little while........

But sure as eggs he went flying up the first hill, and I wasn't about to be left behind! LOL!


Ahh its interesting to read this stuff. Okay well i have a few things to say.. and yes i have had my chamomile tea for the day so am well relaxed.. :cool:

About being asked to pull-out with 1 lap to go:
For open state events if you are dropped by the main group, this is what you will be asked to do by the officials. It's an instruction that is given at the start of the race. I see no reason why club events need be any different. From what i understand, it's in the interests of the RIDERS to follow this instruction as it is intended to look after the safety of those on the course. It allows the chase / lead car to protect the race more effectively.

About 'easing into the race':
Well this is actually what i did! The group was surging for the first lap or so through the hills and I found it quite interesting to see how people reacted. IMO that course isn't JUST for climbers, but organised riders will succeed if they are efficient in dealing with cross and head winds through the flatter sections. Those who rode with me when the break occurred will recall the emphasis on taking turns PROPERLY to deal with the cross wind, so that we could keep away. I was well aware that with only 3 guys, we needed to be efficient to keep away. That's 3 lads against a pretty big group!
Perhaps rather than being critical, self-assessment might be beneficial.. I beleive that an organised group with good flat-riding skills, taking good turns, and being ultra-efficient, could have reeled us in, be they climbers or otherwise.
It is certainly a skill, when breaks occur, to know how to respond, and more often than not, the thing to do is NOT launch a solo attempt at bridging the gap (thus fragmenting the race), but to work together, as a team, and take advantage of the efficiency that a big bunch offers. Matt D frequently talks about bunch riding skills, and yep, say 8 months ago mine were crap, but isn't this race result a good indication of how improved bunch skills could have made a big difference?

Oh and one last thing - if the chase group had remained cohesive, do you think you would have been asked to pull out with 1 lap to go???

Food for thought.. :)

Peace,

Daimo.
The meaning of life is a life of meaning.
<<

LukieSpookie

User avatar

helium

Posts: 757

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Location: Blackwood

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:06 pm

I do not believe the field was large enough to allow any sort of group chase to be beneficial. After the first climb, 6 people were spat from an already small field with most people doing it tough by themselves.

The hills provide the skinny guys with a huge advantage, as large amounts of time can be gained on the climbs. If larger lads, like Daveeed, have to bust a nut to get up the hill, the chance of the person recovering enough to make up time lost on the climb on the flats is approximately zero. Also compounded by the fact that there wasn't a big field.

For me the race was a bit disappointing, but my expectations were never high to begin with in an open event. My conclusion is road racing isn't for me, and bring on the summer track and crit season.
<<

Daimo

User avatar

silks

Posts: 301

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Location: Adelaide, SA

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 pm

LukieSpookie wrote:... After the first climb, 6 people were spat from an already small field with most people doing it tough by themselves...


Is it just me who thinks that this, on a course that was quite windy, isn't tactically all that wise?

The small lead group worked pretty hard on the flat sections, and at times i was expecting we could be cought. I have become accustomed to riders who DONT perform on the hills taking full advantage of their bigger engines on the flatter / windier sections, and working together to reel in the breaks.

Did any one actually think about exploiting the windy conditions to their advantage, and to work in a group????

On the first lap, people were actually taking turns in the wrong direction through the cross wind! This is a pretty costly mistake to make...
The meaning of life is a life of meaning.
<<

Jeremy

User avatar

silks

Posts: 316

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Location: Nailsworth

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:13 pm

I wasn't there, but I would say with a total field of only 19 riders, experience would more than likely be lacking.....the type of experience that is needed to lead a chase group and give instruction to others.....

The fitness and ability differences between the small number of entrants would severely restrict the size, and chances of success of a chase group also.......
<<

David

User avatar

helium

Posts: 732

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:20 am

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:13 pm

Daimo wrote:
Adam B wrote:
David wrote:Oh and thanks to the lead bunch for easing into it a keeping the group together for the first lap of the ultimate road race of the season - it was really fun doing a two-up time trial for 7 and a half laps. :twisted:



Sorry Dave! I said to Daimo before the race just take it easy for the first lap or so, so that the group can stay together for at least a little while........

But sure as eggs he went flying up the first hill, and I wasn't about to be left behind! LOL!


Ahh its interesting to read this stuff. Okay well i have a few things to say.. and yes i have had my chamomile tea for the day so am well relaxed.. :cool:

About being asked to pull-out with 1 lap to go:
For open state events if you are dropped by the main group, this is what you will be asked to do by the officials. It's an instruction that is given at the start of the race. I see no reason why club events need be any different. From what i understand, it's in the interests of the RIDERS to follow this instruction as it is intended to look after the safety of those on the course. It allows the chase / lead car to protect the race more effectively.

About 'easing into the race':
Well this is actually what i did! The group was surging for the first lap or so through the hills and I found it quite interesting to see how people reacted. IMO that course isn't JUST for climbers, but organised riders will succeed if they are efficient in dealing with cross and head winds through the flatter sections. Those who rode with me when the break occurred will recall the emphasis on taking turns PROPERLY to deal with the cross wind, so that we could keep away. I was well aware that with only 3 guys, we needed to be efficient to keep away. That's 3 lads against a pretty big group!
Perhaps rather than being critical, self-assessment might be beneficial.. I beleive that an organised group with good flat-riding skills, taking good turns, and being ultra-efficient, could have reeled us in, be they climbers or otherwise.
It is certainly a skill, when breaks occur, to know how to respond, and more often than not, the thing to do is NOT launch a solo attempt at bridging the gap (thus fragmenting the race), but to work together, as a team, and take advantage of the efficiency that a big bunch offers. Matt D frequently talks about bunch riding skills, and yep, say 8 months ago mine were crap, but isn't this race result a good indication of how improved bunch skills could have made a big difference?

Oh and one last thing - if the chase group had remained cohesive, do you think you would have been asked to pull out with 1 lap to go???

Food for thought.. :)

Peace,

Daimo.


I've had a crap day at work so I'm up for a feisty debate!

Firstly it was a club race so same rules do not necessarily apply as to Opens - club races are intended to be a little more 'relaxed'. (It usually helps attract and retain memebers and keeps them motivated enought o come back for more.) If they were going to pull everyone out once they had been dropped from the main bunch, then there wouldn't have been anyone left after Lap 2. And why wait till the last lap to pull people out? Who would the lead car have followed to protect the race anyway? The whole race was pretty much a series of individual time trials so who should they have followed? You as the leader? The second bunch of 2 or 3?

Secondly I find it hilarious that you were concerned the 3 of you in the lead bunch felt the need to swap turns into the cross wind to keep away!! :lol: Who exactly were you frightened might catch you? That pretty big group you mentioned consisted mostly of guys doing their first road race for the year in an attempt to support a club event.....no doubt they would've loved to have been 'ultra-efficient' and worked turns in an attempt to chase the leaders down but didn't get their ambitions confused with their talent. I'm pretty certain no one was thinking about launching a solo attempt to bridge the gap! I think for some of the guys that raced, their 'self assessment' will go a little like "Well f*ck that, I'm not doing that again next year!" - and you will have a field of 5 starters next time. It will be interesting to see how many of them will be supporting the club championships next year!

And to answer your question, no this race was the worst example ever of how improved bunch skills could have made a big difference. There wasn't a 'bunch' to be skillful!

This was a club race with 12 starters of quite a range of fitness levels, not a World Championships or even a State Championship where the fitness levels are going to be much closer (and the stakes much higher). To my mind, knowing it was a club level race and who was racing it, it should have panned out something like this; the group should've stayed together for at least 2 laps - for the fitter guys, they could've ridden tempo on the front and had a lovely chat, looking at the country side and taking in the wildlife (maybe even stopping for a natural break, then chasing the bunch back down if they wanted to make it a bit harder for themselves), but making sure everyone stayed together - give everyone a sense of involvement. I would've been happy with 2 laps of that (more would be better but I don't want to ask for too much) and then you could have all gone sick and smashed each other as hard as you wanted. Not every race needs to be about smashing everyone from the start. (And I wish someone could have told the guys that at the Crit at Murray Bridge the other night! :shocked:)

Let me use a sprinting analogy - in a Match Sprint race on the track, when you know you far outrank your opponent, the unwritten rule of cycling etiquette is usually to not to smack them by 100m and make them look stupid, you try to keep them in it, make them work that little bit harder, thinking they've got a chance, then pip them on the line and beat them by 1/2 a wheel. This actually requires a bit of restraint and some skill (to make sure you don't cock it up and lose! :wink: ) Obviously as you go through the rounds and get closer to guys of the same ability, you don't pull any punches - it's too risky to hold back.

Speaking of food for thought, I must consume some food for energy and go and get a curry for tea!
:lol:
Once you've had track, you'll never go back!
Next

Return to results

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron