FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

eBay Sellers Beware!

<<

Michael

kevlar beads

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

eBay Sellers Beware!

eBay Sellers Beware!

I am pleased to say that I have now sold my Ute http://1200Ute4Sale.youngees.net.
At long last, not for as much money as I wanted!, but it is going to a person that will spend heaps of money on it and restore it to a cool vehicle.

So, to set the scene, I had a second-hand vehicle advertised on the net at http://www.carsguide.com.au , nice site and free, I would recommend it, and on the forum at http://datsun1200.com, great site and good people with their feet on the ground.
I tried parking it off the main street up near the shops where I had seen others leave their "vehicles for sale". Well, I got a ticket from the council, just a warning for the first offence, they took my registration number and phone number and the second time they saw it advertised on the street it would be a $$$$ fine. Bastards, but that's another story.
I was getting enquiries about once a week, heaps more earlier when I did not have the price in big letters, front and centre, then an email:

----------------
Dear Michael,

A Drive user has contacted you with a question about your DATSUN, 1200 for sale on Drive.
I have an enquiry regarding price Hi there, i will like to make an offer $3,500 for this, i will be happy if you accept my offer, payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers, Steven.
Name Steven Johnson
Mobile
Email stevenkv01@yahoo.com
Login To Manage Your Ad
BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT BUYERS:

In recent times, more and more people are trying to scam vehicle sellers. Don't let this deter you, just make sure you protect yourself by being aware of the main scams that are around. Please report all instances of fraud to your authority and also to Drive .
Click Here for more information on fraud.

News Ltd never requests personal or credit card information via email.
Be wary of suspicious emails claiming to offer News Ltd services.
Visit carsguide.com.au: The automotive site for the News Limited network
--------------------

I Replied:

----------------
Hi Steve,
I cannot accept paypal payments.
I will accept $3500 cash only.
Please reply asap as others are enquiring
Michael.
----------------

They replied:

----------------
Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.au,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.
----------------

I replied:

----------------
Sorry Steve, No deal, Cash only.
----------------

That was the end of the email conversation.
Was I just really stupid?
Did I just pass up the best deal going?
Here was somebody, "Steve", offering to pay "full price", (I was advertising it for $3500- on carsguide.com.au). He would pay me using paypal, a widely used on-line payment system, even pick up the vehicle after the payment had been sorted.
What could go wrong?
Such an old fashion bastard, I wanted to see cash in my hand?

I did worry about some of these questions for a while, but then, another email:

----------------
Dear Michael Young,

A Drive user has contacted you with a question about your DATSUN, 1200 for sale on Drive.
I have an enquiry regarding price Hi there, i will like to make an offer $3,500 for this, i will be happy if you accept my offer, payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers,Nicholas.
Name Nicholas Smart
Mobile
Email nicholaszx002@yahoo.com
Login To Manage Your Ad

In recent times, more and more people are trying to scam vehicle sellers. Don't let this deter you, just make sure you protect yourself by being aware of the main scams that are around. Please report all instances of fraud to your authority and also to Drive .

----------------

I replied:

----------------
Hi Nicholas,
Sorry but I am not able to accept payment by paypal.
Cold hard cash is the only acceptable option!
Michael.
----------------

End of the email conversation!

Another email:

----------------
Dear Michael Young,

I have an enquiry regarding price Hi there, i will like to make an offer $3,500 for this, i will be happy if you accept my offer, payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers,Nicholas.
Name Nicholas Smart
Mobile
Email nicholaszx002@yahoo.com
Login To Manage Your Ad

----------------

Another:

----------------
Dear Michael Young,

Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $3,500 for this,payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers, mark..
Name mark smith
Mobile
Email markqv01@gmail.com
Login To Manage Your Ad

----------------

Another:
----------------
Dear Michael Young,

I have an enquiry regarding price Hi there, i will like to make an offer $3,500 for this, i will be happy if you accept my offer, payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers, Bradley
Name Bradley Fisher Vincent
Mobile
Email brad_fv73@yahoo.com.au
Login To Manage Your Ad

----------------

At this stage I am getting fairly sick of this and as I had recently sold the vehicle to a local person for a nice collection of $100- bills I cancelled the advertisement on carsguide.com.au.

!!!!! I believe that if I had accepted any of the above deals I would lose my vehicle and my money. !!!!!

This is how it works.
The buyer uses paypal to purchase the object you are selling, does not have to be a car, can be anything a car, bike, computer, whatever, usually expensive and moveable, ie. not a house or land, something that they can come and pick up, which they will do after the payment has been sorted and the seller is happy. They will pick up the goods and not leave any details about themselves or where the goods are going, but why would you care, you have your money. You have converted your paypal credits into cash via your bank account and are ready to spend the money.
The sting.
Some time later, maybe a month later, paypal get in touch with you and demand the money back. The full amount that you were paid by the buyer. Sorry, the paypal account was stolen, the payment is not authorized, please return the money or we will take you to court and sue the pants off you.
Er, ok, paypal gets their money back because they are a big powerful company and you can not really expect to fight/win against them.
BUT
they are not going to help you get your goods back!
It has been a month and they are long gone!!!!!

This did not happen to me, because I would only accept cash, (and I did look for the watermarks on the notes as soon as they were handed to me!) but it did happen to someone I know, someone who would not tell me pork-pies.

Personally, I am sticking to cash or some sort of bank transfer, never paypal!

Be warned, be careful and good luck.
<<

trapcycle

silks

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

ebay

Yeah it happens - i lost my goods and money as well due to someone paying through paypal with a stolen credit card.
but i have learnt to only send goods to the address on the paypal account not the one they ask you to send the goods to.
luckily it was only a playstation game and 20 bucks :grin:
<<

Jax

tricycle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you for the heads up

I got a reply to my ad for selling my bike asking what type of engine it had.

I told him, 2 legs!

Anyway, I would have been confused if I had not read your post

Thanks again
<<

Alasdair

silks

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 am

You should have told them it was an 80 litre, fuel-ingested, parallel twin.
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. In a pinch, three will do...

Return to ebay specials