no
20%

Total votes : 10
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm

sunday 11 sept easy flat bunch ride

the club has a whole lot of new members and crit season is fast approaching so unless you plan on embarrassing yourself around vic park and making people hate you it is probably a good time to spend some time getting used to riding in a bunch again

depart entertainment centre carpark (the entrance opposite where the brewery xmas display is) 8.00am

approx 30km ride, max speed of 30km/h

you should familiarize yourself with the guidelines of a bunch ride in the sticky post by 'dr matt' above - these will not be enforced with an iron fist because nobody is perfect but if you do something really bad you will be told. no surges off the front or sprinting etc, you might think it is awesome to show everyone that you are the next lance armstrong and can sprint out of a bunch doing 30km/h but it is not cool on a bunch ride. that said, nobody will be 'monitoring' everything you do so dont be nervous.

new members or members who have not done much racing or no racing at all are encouraged to come along

CSA license holders only - if you are uninsured and crash into danny soyson he will be very unhappy

*note* - this is not an official or sanctioned 'coached' ride

these rides are a nice way to warm up in the morning and also a great opportunity to ask the club president if honey is vegan (recommended topic) so come along and ride your bicycle
the ideal number of bikes is one
<<

timmy

helium

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 pm

What about mock-honey?
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 pm

timmy wrote:What about mock-honey?

Here is a recipe for mock honey.
http://www.food.com/recipe/1906-mock-honey-404106
it contains eggs so Dan will not eat it. Even if they are happy free frange eggs even happier and free than Nigel's happy happy bees.
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 pm

To make one cup of mock honey, add one cup of agave necter to a cup - there's your mock honey!
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:48 pm

are bees involved in the pollination process of an agave plant though?
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Probably, I'm not sure! We can discuss further on the bike ride, or over a soy latte :wink:
<<

Marky G

PACC President

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 pm

FYI

Mock Latte; This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet

Preparation Time: 10 minutes - Serves: 1

Ingredients:

8 oz milk or substitute

1-2 shots espresso or 1/4 cup STRONG brewed coffee

Extas- whipped cream, cinnamon, cocoa, syrups, etc.

Instructions:

1. Heat milk in pot on the stove until it starts to froth, just before boiling. If it's still not frothy enough you can put it in the blender and blend until desired frothiness

2. Pour milk and espresso into cup

3. Add any extras

Enjoy.
<<

aimeebear

helium

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 pm

i'll be there.

gulp :shock:
I like to ride my bicycle.
<<

David

helium

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 pm

stabmaster arson wrote:are bees involved in the pollination process of an agave plant though?

:lol: I was thinking about this the other day too...do humans exploit animals (ie. insects) to polinate plants that we rely on as a food source, or does it all happen 'naturally'?
Once you've had track, you'll never go back!
<<

Lee-Anne

silks

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 pm

i'll be there - with maple & golden syrup
'If ya gonna die, die on the black line' GZ
<<

timmy

helium

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 am

David wrote:
stabmaster arson wrote:are bees involved in the pollination process of an agave plant though?

:lol: I was thinking about this the other day too...do humans exploit animals (ie. insects) to polinate plants that we rely on as a food source, or does it all happen 'naturally'?

You forgot the first rule of veganism David: in order to gain the moral high ground you are allowed to choose when hypocrisy applies to you and when it doesn't.

Ps meat is murder! (this is so Dan doesn't hate me forever).
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am

Okay its probably not the right forum for these discussions but since you asked.... (and taunted!!)

David: no, pollination of crops is not what I would consider 'exploitation'. As I think I've said before, I consider insects a grey area and I don't really know if 'insect rights' is something to be concerned about. Since we need crops to survive, there isn't really an option anyway. However, this doesn't make any difference to the question of whether animal use is okay or not.

As for honey, there is an interesting page here.

Tim: as I've said before, veganism is not about absolute perfection. There is always going to be some 'hypocrisy' as you put it. There are animal products in tyres, computer screens, roads, treated pine... the list goes on. Its about doing what we can. 99% of animal use is for food and clothing - so we avoid these things.

The biggest hypocrisy of all: we (people in general) claim to care about animals. Many of us have pets that we consider part of the family. We know that animals feel pain, have emotions and don't want to die. We even laws that protect (some) animals from harm. But when it comes to a tasty steak... we throw all of that out the window. Animal products are not necessary for human health (and are probably detrimental) but we continue to support the systematic torture and killing of 56 billion animals per year, with no justification other than "we like the taste".

Go and watch Earthlings and then come back to me.

See you on the bike ride everyone, and feel free to ask me anything then :cool:
<<

Jeremy

silks

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am

I'm allergic to rain.....i hope the forecast changes
:cry:
Just another trackie lost in the criterium state.....
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am

DanielS wrote:
See you on the bike ride everyone, and feel free to ask me anything then :cool:

are humans considered animals?

humans are expolited in the production of fruit and vegetables. in many places the exploitation of human labour for food production would be considered inhumane.

ps sunday's ride will still take place if it is raining.
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 pm

stabmaster arson wrote:humans are expolited in the production of fruit and vegetables. in many places the exploitation of human labour for food production would be considered inhumane.

Yes I agree that human exploitation is bad too. You are allowed to care about human and animal rights, you don't need to pick one or the other!

stabmaster arson wrote:ps sunday's ride will still take place if it is raining.

Yeah but will you be there?? Or is the wet driveway rule in effect?
Next

Return to training