FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

wanting to hit the track and get more serious

<<

damientrack

tricycle

Post Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 pm

wanting to hit the track and get more serious

hey im new to this forum and plan on joining the PACC club in the next week or so. looking to focus alot more on track racing as that is were i am really interested and want to possibly peruse a career in racing. so if anyone has any helpful sprint tips or just any tips in general feel free to leave them. and also looking for a riding partner or group to go for rides with. in the middle of saving up to get another road bike as i was in a big crash 11 months ago and it was destroyed so i have built a fair decent track/road fixie for myself atm and love riding that around
<<

d413

tubular

Post Thu May 19, 2011 11:39 pm

gday Damein,
welcome to the forum :) and soon to the club.
keep and eye out for Daniel the club pres. he is normally about with a positive word of encouragement, gemm is great for mechanical advice and often not too far away is David one of the club coaches (he helped me out with a bunch of training guides and advice).

in short I think the best advice I could give you if you are new like me is ride,ride,ride. Do lots of simple stuff lots. 2x20's, intervals, sprint repeats, standing starts, rolling accelerations. just do it lots and lots till your legs hurt then come back and do it again the next day.

some simple gym stuff can be good too, squats, deadlifts, core work (make sure you have good technique on the gym stuff so you dont hurt yourself though, I like a more olympic style squat as far as foot position goes to try and look after my knees). If you need a gym I would recomend the UniSA gym in the city as it is cheap at $6 a vist (cheaper to join still) and the final year human movement students who run it have more training than your average gym instructor.

anyway welcome mate, hope to see you around.
there is a track race in a few fridays you can even rent a bike if you need?
Regards, Dale
<<

Jeremy

silks

Post Fri May 20, 2011 7:42 am

Hi,
What is your current riding/racing experience? Have you ridden on a banked velodrome before?
What area do you live in? That generally helps when finding a training partner.

Cycling SA runs novice nights at the superdrome 2 fridays a month. You dont need your own bike, or racing licence to do one of these, and they are essential before venturing out to the more advanced group training sessions on wednesday nights (endurance) and thursday nights (sprint), where you will ride with experienced racing cyclists (and require a licence and your own bike)
Just another trackie lost in the criterium state.....
<<

damientrack

tricycle

Post Fri May 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks d413. i already go to the gym i have been doing olympic weightlifting for about 3 years now anyways so all the gym work is non the less taken care of.

Thanks jeremy.
i have no racing experience as yet but i have been riding for a little over 3 years. i havent been for a ride on the banks but am super keen to step it up a notch and start to get more serious.i live in sturt (5min walk from marion shopping centre )
<<

d413

tubular

Post Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I bet you will have fun this summer then Damien, edwardstown (behind castle plaza at the rec centre) runs outdoor track racing every friday night from about october-march i think.

the banking is only about 20% too so it is less intimadating and lets you focus a bit more on technique and position in the group ect ect. (well at least for me it did)

as jeremy said, there is a training session on tonight at the superdrome. all you need is to rock up. bring your helmet shoes +$ ect ect (helmet needs to be aus stds approved). you can use your bike if it passes scrutineering, often fixies dont.
bike needs no brakes, drop bars, bar positing bellow seat, nothing hanging out anywhere (no bottle mounts ect ect) and some sort of pedal to foot retension system and clean black tires of equal size.
Regards, Dale

Return to training