FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

regular summer bunches

<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: regular summer bunches

Daimo wrote:Just a few contradictions??

I'd say less contradictions and more lack of clarity.
cheers
Matt..

with the right tools, I can do anything
with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

Daimo

silks

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm certainly no expert at the Bakery Run, nor bunch rides in built-up areas.

That said i have learned plenty from this discussion thread on the subject and have drawn a few conclusions along the way..

Gemma and I had words the other week about an attack that i instigated and in heinsight regret, on a short hill. It put some of the group in difficulty and I realised that it was inappropriate for a relaxing Bakery Run.

Based on my discussions with Bradley, I beleive that the attack down Anzac Hwy played a part with him crashing as the bunch re-grouped at the intersection of Greenhill / Anzac.

When i was a kid, I got into racing motorcycles, and i was told "Damion, racing is for the race track". I never forgot that. We cyclists are the first to curse when we see motorists treating the road as a race track. Why should we be any different?

I didn't attack yesterday but I realise that responding to attacks in the way I did is just as bad. The conditions might be right for one person in attacking, but that doesnt mean that it's safe for people to respond in every instance. It only takes the traffic lights to change at the wrong time.

In doing a little reading for myself, I came across this article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... id=rss_age

So in essence, I'm not going to attack, nor respond, on a Bakery Ride again. In the interests of the safety of my friends in the group, I think this is the right thing to do. I think that Matt's initial comment about the group behaving as one predictable road user rings true for me.

But hey, I guess everyone has their own take on this...
The meaning of life is a life of meaning.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:16 pm

C'mon poeple lets not analyse things too deeply here. It doesn't need a world summit of traffic light sprints experts or anything of the like.

All the 'rules' are just common sense - in a road safety sense as well as a 'consideration to other club mates and not being selfish' sense.

Stringing the bunch out over 200m or more ain't much fun for the tail-end-charlie at the back - especially if someone forgets there was a charlie at the back and he gets left behind - which is exactly what we don't want.

If some blokes/chicks decide to have a traffic light or busstop sprint then that's fine & the rest of the bunch should just plod along at the same speed and not react! And tail-end-charlie at the back won't get lost along the way.

Our whole bunch should fit neatly in a box no more than 2m wide, it's nice and social that way. Not only does it mean we won't piss other road users off it makes us look real pro. Maybe next ride we can concentrate on that! :love3:
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

aimeebear

helium

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:23 pm

I think its time for a group hug :3some:

(its the only hug like emoticon i could find :cry: )
I like to ride my bicycle.
<<

Stainesy

will race for sheepstations

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:58 pm

Amiee!!!! That Huggy thing could be considered sexual harassment... :shock:

Of course this all depends on who is hugging you ! In which case......nvm :wink:

Stainesy

ps I wasn't trying to make a move on you dave! I was just practising my bunch riding skills by riding close :lol:
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
<<

Gecho82

I ams teh spamz0r!

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

im up for a threesome with stainsey and aimee :eek:
Ive had a sudden realization of absolute truth!, think thats an epiphany?
<<

Paul

silks

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:29 pm

ooo i found 2 cents...

The beauty of our rides is that they cater for all abilities and genres.
The sprinters have the right to contest traffic light sprints just as the climbers can fly up norton summit ... this all provided we do it safely & wait after our efforts.
Other than that i dont see any problems if we ride 2 abreast and respect the road rules
Pain is just weakness leaving the body

By sprintking
<<

Kellie

helium

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Gemm wrote:If some blokes/chicks decide to have a traffic light or busstop sprint then that's fine ...

It's these pedestrian traffic light sprints that helped me win the 2005 State Keirin Track Championship and 2005 State Criterium Championship! So if the opportunity arises (in a safe environment), sprinting for traffic lights - preferrably with friendly competition - simulates a real 'race to the line' and helps give me the edge that I need for an actual racing environment.

Problems arise when the group is unfamiliar with the territory and all of a sudden a few start 'racing' for an imaginary finish line (have been in this situation before, when out with an interstate group). Not very nice to not know where the 'finish' is, in addition to dangerous with the increased likelihood you will ride into the person in front because they have stopped pedalling because the sprint is over or they've run out of legs.

Then like Gemma mentioned, the tailenders get left behind, because the ones that sprinted off can't seem to bring themselves to travel at 20kph or less until the others catch up - thinking it's up to the stragglers to lift the pace.

We DO NOT race to intersection traffic lights, for the obvious reason it IS too dangerous. Most pedestrian lights are reasonably safe, however we wouldn't race to ped-lights in the CBD, as there are always people crossing at them.

Perhaps discuss before the ride begins where the ped lights sprints are fair game and whether there are any exclusions.
Live for today,
Think about tomorrow,
Plan for the future,
... and never take life for granted!
<<

Daimo

silks

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:59 am

So.. With all this glorious weather - are people already gettin their gleuts organised and doing morning rides for summer 08 / 09?

Gotta say, i was a tad surprised to see that the last post on this thread was August 07... Am i posting in the wrong area?

Anyway if peoples are keen for the odd easy km ride, i'm in. Happy to do my share of work into the wind.. :)
The meaning of life is a life of meaning.
<<

WillySA

training wheels

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi all - Im new to road cycling and potentially looking at joining your club as a recreational member until I build up some confidence on the road. I am interested in coming out for a ride and introducing myself to you all but the group riding scenario is a bot of a concern for me at the momnet as I have not had the opportunity to do this yet. All I can say is that I hope you have plenty of patience and are willing to assist new members with the introduction to group rides. I have had a look through this thread and am learning quickly but there is only so much that theory can teach. If there are any web sites that you can reccommend to gain a better understanding on group etiquite, it would be appreciated. Thanks. :???:
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:08 pm

WillySA wrote:Hi all - Im new to road cycling and potentially looking at joining your club as a recreational member until I build up some confidence on the road. I am interested in coming out for a ride and introducing myself to you all but the group riding scenario is a bot of a concern for me at the momnet as I have not had the opportunity to do this yet. All I can say is that I hope you have plenty of patience and are willing to assist new members with the introduction to group rides. I have had a look through this thread and am learning quickly but there is only so much that theory can teach. If there are any web sites that you can reccommend to gain a better understanding on group etiquite, it would be appreciated. Thanks. :???:

Willy just roll up on Sunday:
http://www.pacc.org.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1870
It's not a fast ride, it's more of a precision formation, where lookin' stylish and riding close and orderly is the name of the day
:lol: Just ridng two abreast as close as you can (and are comfortable with), to get used to riding close. There's no quick swapping of turns (Stabmaster's 15 secs excluded ;-)
We're plenty patient! Hope to see you there!
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

stabmaster arson

PACC Treasurer

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Gemm wrote:There's no quick swapping of turns (Stabmaster's 15 secs excluded ;-)

calling marky g - you are required in this thread STAT!
the ideal number of bikes is one
<<

Dr Matt

Ze Doktor iz in!

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 am

WillySA wrote:I have had a look through this thread and am learning quickly but there is only so much that theory can teach.

yep, time to put it all into practice. The best bit of theory I can give is: relax! :lol:
Being stressed and tense will make riding in the bunch a lot harder. If you're relaxed your action is more fluid, you'll be able to shift attention more easily and the whole thing will be more enjoyable.

In the early stages of learning bunch skills, I suggest you focus on learning to maintain a fixed distance from the rider in front - which means fine control over your cadence and power output. There's more than a few riders (both new and old) that don't do this very well and as a consequence yo-yo in position which sucks for the riders behind them. Much better to be fixed 40cm back than 20-90-20-90 ...

Gemm wrote:Willy just roll up on Sunday

A 20+ bunch might be a tad intimidating to start with, but hanging down the back and watching should still be fine.

We will need to develop a group strategy to reduce the number of red lights being run - some of the efforts last week were shameful :oops: .
cheers
Matt..

with the right tools, I can do anything
with the wrong tools, you'll have to give me a minute ... and a new right shoulder ... and a new upper spine ...

<<

Gecho82

I ams teh spamz0r!

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am

Matt D wrote:We will need to develop a group strategy to reduce the number of red lights being run - some of the efforts last week were shameful :oops: .

People just gotta learn to ride faster and not tag along at the back and leave 10 metre gaps between them and the rider infront :lol: :lol:
Ive had a sudden realization of absolute truth!, think thats an epiphany?
Previous

Return to training