FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cyclo-cross skills and training

<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Cyclo-cross skills and training

OK peeps. I can now confirm that there will be 4 training/skills/WTF is this CX thing sessions in the lead up to the first PACC CX Event. :hello2:

The first will be Thursday 24th March after work and is for women only to give the chicks a head-start on everybody. If you have an old touring/hybrid/shopping bike don't be shy they will be fine!

And every Thursday thereafter for everybody, after work in the CBD for the 24th and possibly a before-work for the remaining two (daylight dependant)

Will confirm exact times for the sessions next week.

The coach we have lined up is none other than Neil Ross currently at the AIS and former Canadian National CX Team Coach - and all round nice guy! :notworthy:
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Next Thursday evening 24th March we've got a womens-only cyclocross skills/practice clinic on. Meet at 5:45pm at the corner of South Tce and Hutt Streets and see parts of the Focus CX & The City course and learn some cyclocross basics like dismounting, remounting and bike carrying (portaging?conveying?shouldering?suitcasing?) from Neil Ross. No pre-requisite skills required you just need to be able to ride a bike....

The Thursday after that is for both men and women and these will continue up to the first race event on the 22nd April. There's more specific session details on the PACC CX Site (click here)

We had a course reccy meeting and squirrely skills session for some volunteers tonight. Only a few people there had even watched some of those dodgy instructional youtube videos of dismounts/remounts and even less had actually attempted them - and yet Neil had us all doing it within 5 minutes, he is the most amazing coach! (Trap and I even did it and we're unco :wink:)

On a personal note - As Neil is 100% volunteering his time for Port Adelaide CC we ask if you attend a coaching session that you please donate a gold coin (or more) to go towards CDH Australia. Neil and his (gun CX rider) wife Tara are proud new parents of Sullivan born 18 Jan 2011 with severe Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). You can read about their journey and little Sully's rough start in the world on Tara's blog (click here) which makes it even more amazing that the Ross family are so giving with their time for us.

If people would like to donate to CDH Australia without riding anywhere, you can do it from right where you are now, here's a link:
http://cdh.org.au/donating/
Thanks peeps.
:cool:
<<

ATrain

tricycle

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

Photos

Just because Gemma was so sure that she wouldn't appear in the photos:

<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am

you're looking up my bike's skirt! :oops:
<<

timmy

helium

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:22 am

For those that were not out there last night, I strongly encourage you to give this a crack.

Neil Ross is an exceptional coach (and a nice bloke!) and to have him so generously volunteer his services is an amazing asset for the club. This guy is usually coaching AIS athletes so take advantage of this opportunity by coming out over the next couple of weeks and saying hello.
<<

ATrain

tricycle

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am

Ou la la! It's a sexy bike, Gem, what can I say?

Yes, definitely second the sentiments re: Neil.

He's a great coach and one of the nicest dudes I've met.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

Amazing how attentive blokes are when they're being given instructions on how to leap onto a bike without knackering themselves. That's Neil in the middle about to do a slo-mo leap...

<<

trapcycle

silks

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Photos

ATrain wrote:Just because Gemma was so sure that she wouldn't appear in the photos:

I look scared :grin:
<<

ATrain

tricycle

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 am

I would have said determined!
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 am

Don't forget THIS THURSDAY NIGHT there's CX practice on again. 5:45pm at corner of South and Hutt in the city.
All welcome including non-CA licensed people (have arranged novicover insurance) so if you have a friend who just wants to see what it's about bring em along. Gold coin donation to CDH Australia please.

100% guarantee you'll learn something.... :cool:
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Last night had 28 riders turn up - fantastic! And we ate all the pizza this week :twisted: Click here for links to photos and video.

Due to daylight savings ending we have a new place and time for next week:

Starting 5:15pm sharp at the southern end of Beaumont Rd, Adelaide (enter Beaumont Rd from South Tce). Sign-on will be from 5pm. Please if you have a CA license can you memorise the license number or bring your license with you - thanks!

Click here for Google Map of meeting point
<<

Lee-Anne

silks

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

CX Cleat Release

I have a Q about pedals for CX

I have now got MTB pedals, shoes and cleats :cool: and during today's training in the park across the road, i was wondering about the tightness of the pedals/cleat-release.

Does the Left one need to be a bit looser because you have less strength/control in your dismount, to enable us to do the Neil 'pop'?
I found that when i was balancing on my L foot (with R hand on top tube) i couldnt pop up and off my Left cleat as the pedal stayed attached. (I'll show you the bruise on Thrus!) Or is it a twist but not the fall out you need to master?

Cheers
Lee-Anne
'If ya gonna die, die on the black line' GZ
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I think Neil was saying last week that you want to twist while keeping your foot as flat as possible - i.e. horizontal. Otherwise the pedal will bind.

My MTB cleats have several years of wear in them so they unclip very easily!

I'd loosen them off a bit if you are having trouble.
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 am

That's how I managed to crash the week before too - instead of twisting out sideways I think I tried to twist/hop up and out (like a road pedal) causing me to hop the whole bike up with me still attached and then crashed upon landing!

I think it's because MTB pedals are so much different from road ones (I havn't ridden them before either and mine don't have adjustment)

Edit: I wouldn't think you'd want to accidentally release your left foot as you're coasting towards an obstacle, because that would cause a crash too! So as long as you can get out of the pedal OK, I would leave it.
<<

trapcycle

silks

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Gemm wrote:That's how I managed to crash the week before too - instead of twisting out sideways I think I tried to twist/hop up and out (like a road pedal) causing me to hop the whole bike up with me still attached and then crashed upon landing!

Same problem i had at every training session (at least the grass is kind of soft) :wink:

Return to training