FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Whyalla Track Carnival, 5/11/11

<<

Jeremy

silks

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Whyalla Track Carnival, 5/11/11

Dad and I ventured up to Whyalla this weekend for their track carnival. First time we'd been there, and we both had a good time.

It was a well organised, yet casual event (no highly strung commisaires or other nazis). All the locals were very friendly and accommodating, and there was a mix of events:
Heartstarters, followed by heats and finals of a short, 3 lap wheelrace, for juniors and seniors, then presentations for those, followed by heats and finals of a longer 6 lap wheelrace for seniors, and 4 laps for juniors. Finishing off the evening were some decent length scratch races, and more presentations. Pretty good prize money too!
(not that I got any, but Dad managed to pay for his weekend away with his second place in the wheelrace)

If you havent been there before (which i'd say would be most people), It's a properly banked, concrete, 270m track.....with very good facilities. My first impressions were that it was a bit bumpy, where the joins are between the concrete slabs, but when you are racing, you barely notice at all. At least they are regular....and unlikely to bump you off line, like some of the lumps at Edwardstown.
Racing had to be stopped a couple of times, when it started to rain, but the track dried out pretty quickly, so not much was lost.

Sorry this isnt a very detailed race report, but I only thought about doing one on the drive home.....so I dont have any results to quote or anything.
It'd be great to get some more PACC'ers up there next year!

Pics:

Ps, they sell beer at the track :wink:
Just another trackie lost in the criterium state.....
<<

David

helium

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm

6 laps for the handicap? They told me 4 laps when I did the handicaps!?
Once you've had track, you'll never go back!
<<

Lee-Anne

silks

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Looks good!

You were lucky not to have a locust plague while racing (last yr's Vic Xmas Carnical) that put an extra challenge into the mix -- slippery gut or track, gooey bike parts and having to keep your mouth shut while racing!!
'If ya gonna die, die on the black line' GZ
<<

Jeremy

silks

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 am

David wrote:6 laps for the handicap? They told me 4 laps when I did the handicaps!?

I guess that would explain why the ultra fast enduros did so well......Kyle Franson ended up coming away with the win, after sitting behind Alex King, who buried himself in the last 2-3 laps.
Just another trackie lost in the criterium state.....

Return to photo gallery