FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Friday night track video/keirin b/c

<<

d413

tubular

Post Sat May 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Friday night track video/keirin b/c

mum shot this for me, thought i would share :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFz1UHkfjIs?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFz1UHkfjIs?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thanks mum, and a big thank you to David "the machine" Miller for pacing us (nobody could find the keys for the motorbike).

video is a bit dodgy, but you get that with a little hand held.

what does everybody think of my position on the bike, I am the one in black 3rd wheel/second keirin rider? (freaky hyper extended elbows aside, and my poor line-need to work on that)
I just put my seat up another 5mm after looking at the vid (plus moved my seat fwd a couple mm), im not sure about my bar position though.
Regards, Dale
<<

LTS

training wheels

Post Sat May 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Looking at your vid and photo's, I wouldn't have changed your seat position. You need to bend your elbows though, perhaps bring your bars back and perhaps up a little, and also bend forward through tthe hips rather than bending your back.
<<

DanielS

Titanium

Post Sat May 07, 2011 7:10 pm

My opinion is to get a professional bike fit if you're unsure :wink:

I have heard very good things about Corsa Cycle Centre (and one of the owners, Michele, is a PACC member). Pete @ BMCR is also good at doing fits.

The only thing I would say is that your bars need to come up. The reason for this is that is that you are bending your back and you have very straight arms. I think you need to get more bend in your elbows and have a straighter back.
The ideal number of bikes is one... I just can't decide which one.
<<

Gemm

PACC VP

Post Sun May 08, 2011 8:43 am

Once you manage to bend your arms try bending them elbows out a bit, instead of down, it might help you ride straighter too and will help when match sprints get more 'physical'
the ideal number of bikes is one more than you currently have
<<

d413

tubular

Post Sun May 08, 2011 1:45 pm

LTS wrote:Looking at your vid and photo's, I wouldn't have changed your seat position. You need to bend your elbows though, perhaps bring your bars back and perhaps up a little, and also bend forward through tthe hips rather than bending your back.

comparing knee angle to david in the video, i thought i had a few degrees more bend. i also was sliding fwd on the seat a bit....so.... i have been trying to get more weight fwd on the front wheel without having to lengthen the effective chainstay by using a extra link in the chain.

i was getting really wobbly in the front end after going off the front for extended periods. part of this is me gripping too hard and fatiging in the upper body, part i think is a weight ballance front-rear. my effective chainstay measured c-c of bb-rear axle is 374mm. I really like the fast feeling it has atm in the front end.

straightening my arms has helped to fatigue my upperbody less, but i hear what you are saying, i noticed that too. i might try 1x5mm spacer up. try and take some preasure off of my lower back.
Regards, Dale
<<

d413

tubular

Post Sun May 08, 2011 2:31 pm

DanielS wrote:My opinion is to get a professional bike fit if you're unsure :wink:

I have heard very good things about Corsa Cycle Centre (and one of the owners, Michele, is a PACC member). Pete @ BMCR is also good at doing fits.

The only thing I would say is that your bars need to come up. The reason for this is that is that you are bending your back and you have very straight arms. I think you need to get more bend in your elbows and have a straighter back.

pete did a fit on my other bike earlier this year, bar height taking into account, bb drop and tyre size is equal at the moment. i have slightly less reach though and my seat is still about 10mm further back after moving it fwd.
(i had moved it back because of knee stress, but are slowly creaping back forward till i find my limit, i did speak to pete about it and he encouraged me to fine tune/play with it. he said my comfort was most important)

I did injure my lower back in the car/bike crash late last year. my lower back mobilityis still is not quite as good as it used to be. Maybe i need to work more on core activation and strength too.
Regards, Dale
<<

d413

tubular

Post Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Gemm wrote:Once you manage to bend your arms try bending them elbows out a bit, instead of down, it might help you ride straighter too and will help when match sprints get more 'physical'

I think i tend to try and go long/low and shoulders in, elbows in/down to get out of the wind. try and be more aero+ sit back in my seat to develop more torque when i am fatiguing at the end of a race. it feels like it is all easier, it is prob. all in my head.

I can see how more bend in my elbows will help to cusion my joints better too.

I will try raising the stem a 5mm spacer for the next race. and getting a bit more elbow bend.

will changing my bar angle help me get more bend in my elbow by taking preasure off my wrists?
problem would be rotating the bar fwd will increase reach too.

thank you every body for the advice, I appreciate every bodies opinion.

edit: changes are: stem 10mm up, seat 5mm up + 5mm fwd. hopefully it will open my hips up a touch to flaten my back and shorten reach.
edit2: after a test ride I decided to rotate the bars back towards me a tiny fraction too (smidge higher+closer)
Regards, Dale

Return to photo gallery