FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cycling study at the University of New England

<<

Johnnyutah47

hobby horse

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

Cycling study at the University of New England

Hi guys,
My name is John Scott-Hamilton and I am a PhD student currently doing research in Sport Psychology at the University of New England, Armidale NSW. As part of my doctorate I am running a survey called Buddhism on a Bike: Tailoring Mindfulness-Acceptance to Promote Flow in Competitive Cyclists. As a researcher and passionate competitive cyclist (member of the Armidale road cycling and New England MTB clubs), I am appealing to fellow competitive cyclists for their help by participating in this survey which will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.
I understand that time is so tight for us all and finding 30 minutes to do a survey is not a high priority. However, I really need your assistance as the information from this survey will go a long way towards providing new training for athletes in a way that will modify awareness and the relationship we have with our thoughts (i.e., “turning toward” rather than “running away from” potential difficulties, anxieties, self-doubt and pain).
The ultimate aim of my research is to development a tailored 8-week mindfulness protocol training competitive cyclists to use mindfulness-acceptance skills (meditation and mindful-spinning) to reduce concentration anxiety disruptions by increasing their present-moment focus (i.e., attention and awareness of prevailing sensations and emotions) on the task at hand to promote peak experience (flow) and optimal performance. Beyond the enhancement of physical and mental skills on the bike, this research also seeks to promote the enhancement of psychological well-being in all domains of life.
Although there is no threatening content in this survey, due to ethical constraints this survey is only open to competitive cyclists aged 16 years and above. Interested juniors aged between 16 and 18 are strongly advised to obtain parental or guardian permission before accessing the survey questionnaires.
Survey link: http://unebcss.us2.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI ... JQL0Y4ebsw
Thank you for your time and consideration.
:grin: [/b]
<<

Johnnyutah47

hobby horse

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for your help

Thanks to those who have helped so quickly, your participation is invaluable. :grin:
<<

Johnnyutah47

hobby horse

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Still need help!

Thanks once again for all those who have completed the survey it is apreciated. I have not been loging in of late as I was hit by a car while racing a month ago. I am now back at uni and have been looking at response numbers to the survey.
Thus, I am holding the survey open for another month as I am not quite there in terms of numbers. I was hoping to get in the 200 area, however, I am stuck at about 140. If you were consedering doing the survey please do not hesitate as I desperatly need your in put.

Thanks
John

Return to the broom wagon